First off, my name is Teresa, and here are the five main things you need to know about me:
1. I love to read. I have been voraciously consuming books since I can remember. I can never answer the question “What is your favorite book?” because I have read too many to pick one favorite. I love the feeling of being transported to another time and place. The piles I bring home from the library are only limited by the height of stack I can carry. This year, I live near a used bookstore and I walk past it every day on my way home from class. I have to exercise extreme self control to not spend all of my money there. I am always looking for something new to read, so tell me what to read next.
2. I want to be a teacher. I believe in education and love the “light bulb” moments. I feel like I am called to work with students who really need my help (which at this point is city junior high students). I want to give students the tools they need to succeed. I am excited to be tutoring at a middle school now and again this fall.
3. I am a photographer. I started seriously learning photography in high school and have been pursuing it ever since. I love both digital and film photography, for their own reasons. I love capturing a moment of beauty or thought and preserving it for others to see. I love the immediacy and malleability of digital photography (not to mention you can take as many pictures as you want for free, once you have the equipment). I also love the magic and handmade nature of film photography. I have fallen in love with black and white, but also love saturated color. You will probably see a lot of my photography around here. If what I post on this blog is not enough, check out my photography website and blog at www.thayesphoto.com and www.thayesphotography.wordpress.com.
4. I need quiet time. I would not survive without some time to be by myself and indulge in tea, (really) dark chocolate, knitting or a good book and a cozy blanket. I love music and people, but there are times when I crave silence. I am an introvert trying to learn how to be extroverted.
5. Lastly, and most importantly: I LOVE Christ. I try to live my life to bring His love to everyone around me. I strive to continue to learn about Him and to grow in relationship with Him. He is my strength and my shield. I am extremely blessed to be a part of Saint Paul’s Outreach, a Catholic student group, through which I have been able to strengthen my faith and be part of a community of amazing people that are living their lives for Christ.